Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Mary, Mother of Jesus.



Day 1:

Yesterday I arrived in Cairo. There is so much to write about but I just do not have the time to explain it all. I will make an effort at articulation.

To begin, I found out a several days ago that the family I was suppose to be living with had to move. Eh, military; what can you do? So for now I am living with our senior youth minister, Travis. His flat is quaint and comfortable. It reflects well what I think the flat of a mid twenties, unmarried, missional youth minister should feel like. I will enjoy staying here, though I do not know how permanent my presence will be, should we find a family for me to live with.

This morning we (Travis and I) woke up and cooked some delightful scrambled eggs coupled with little baby grapes on the side. I prepared for the day not knowing at all what to expect, only much walking. With my camelbak lightly packed, I waited for the rest of my comrades (Annie, Ashley, and Mo) to arrive. We strolled to the church building to take a small tour. We only took a small tour because there is not all that much to tour. The Anglican Church has been supremely gracious enough to share with us a piece of their facilities. We hold church activities under a tented area on this tiny patch of busy desert.

We then wandered over to Road 9, or Street 9, or Lane 9, or Avenue 9, or Speedway 9, or some driven area followed by the number 9. The meandering lasted a short while until we decided to head to Lucile's, a semi-American restaurant. We met up with Travis, ate, then hopped back to the church to begin meeting the MCC staff and jump into the work staring us in the face. Mo and I have been given the assignment of planning the two retreats we have coming in 5 weeks. We spent a while discussing the new installment of an 8th grade program tailored to the specific direction we are seeking to lead our yearning young'ens. That sweet assignment was assigned to Annie and Ashley. There is an excitement building in me to see where that class will run to.

Eventually, we trekked over to VBS which is being held twice a day, morning and afternoon. In the morning, the normal congregation of MCC members send thier children. In the afternoon (which is when we arrived), we participated in the Africa Live VBS. Let me try to explain the glory that rose from those who attend the Africa, Live! services. As I understand it, Cairo has a large Sudanese refugee population that gathers here. This was without a doubt, my favorite part of the day. Interaction with people other than a culture I am even even remotely familiar. (I apologize for that ugly sentence.) We arrived with enough time to see them in class for a few minutes and plenty of time for children's worship. We met some of the people that work/volunteer for MCC in the Africa, Live! services. We met Jan, an Australian woman who essentially runs the entire program. I think I might have a picture of her I'll post. But alas, for tonight, the batteries are dead and need to be charged.

We met very many people today whom I hope to remember half of their names. We have now met a couple of incredible families who have welcomed us into their house with more hospitality than any other family I have ever known before. One of my favorite superficial things about being a Christian are the connections. I am halfway across the world from what I would call home, only to meet a family of whom I went to school for a year and half with their son; and another man from MCC now living in Houston works for my father. Apparently the rest of our youth team thinks I know everyone in this city. Not true. That would be impossible.

We also met a super cool Egyptian girl who works for the church, Revo. We have Egyptians, Australians, Brits, and Americans on staff. We have Lebanese, Sudanese, and I am sure there are others I am not aware of. After one full day, I'll step out and say I like it here. I think I'll stay for a while.

After reading through this, that description of our day is sickly pitiful but I already feel like I have taken more time than I should.

Oh, I nearly forgot one of the more important stories of the day. This evening, after dinner when Revo was driving us all back to our perspective flats, she dropped me at the street Travis lives on. I began to walk, fairly uncertain where I was going. All I truly remembered from the groggy night before was making a left turn up a couple of flights of stairs. From the outside, most of everything looks... identical, especially in the dark. So upon departing from her car, and realizing that in was in that zooming car, I had left my cell phone. The address was in my backpack... that I had left in my room in the flat. I knew I was supposed to be on road 209. Luckily for me, 209 is not long, only a couple of blocks. Something I forgot to mention earlier: In Cairo, there are stationed guards with slightly intimidating automatic weapons sitting around, every few blocks, or so. I do not have this spiritual gift though it might be cool if I did, this evening it was simple to read the minds of these guards. I am a young white man, aimlessly pacing a confused look mounting my face pretending like nothing is wrong. Out of nowhere, I hear a shot fired and something whizz by my ear. Okay, that last sentence is completely false but it would have made for a better story. Seriously, I did get asked if I needed any help but what was I going to tell the guy; "Um, yeah, I am a dumb fragile American who was stupid enough not only to forget my cell phone in a friend's car but I also forgot where I live. I don't know the address or even what door number I live. Could you please provide some direction? Thanks." No. I am not going to do that. Instead, I proved just how stubborn I could be, though at the time I told myself it was simply "peace from God." After trying to enter a few different buildings and knowing with a solid belief that each of them was not the correct place, I eventually and by the grace of God waddled to well lit door that I thought, was surely not the structure we should be living in, but I was wrong. I tried a couple of different doors, since I also did not remember what floor we lived on. For some unsensical reason, I tried the key in a door that could not possibly be the correct door but the lock turned and when I stepped in, it was indeed the bachelor pad I remembered. I dropped to the floor and kissed the ground, ran and hugged the sheets, and blessed the lock and key that so blessedly turned so smoothly leading me back to freedom and hope. I do not think I will forget again, despite all the fun I had.

Daddy, I love you. Remind me constantly that nothing is impossible with you, and to respond appropriately as the Lord's servant. Remove any barrier keeping me from you and keeping me from befriending and embracing any of your people you allow me to meet. Take me. I am yours. I pray in the name of our risen Lord, Jesus that you accept this prayer as a sweet scent to your heart and respond with your unfailing faithfulness. Give me oppurtunity to be the hands of my compassionate Lord.

I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bullets??? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?? Just remember your mother is reading this stuff.
Love,
Mom