Sunday, November 4, 2007

Growing up

There comes a time in every youthful warrior's life when he must learn what it is to test his skills, refine the taught talents imposed by tireless tribulation. That day is today. And yesterday; and tomorrow. For within the city limits and suburbs of Cairo I've embarked up a new incline seeking the plane of responsible peace.

This day, I awoke later than usual to a reminder of my lone pilgrimage to the American Embassy in downtown Cairo, otherwise known as "Real Egypt." Maadi though tainted with with Western culture only tingles of a true Egyptian experience. But now, this morning, the venture groans with anticipatory anxiety. Finding myself more and more apt and armed to invite new adventures, this one snorted with battle readiness.

After one lost Arabian taxi, an unsure metro exit and a near connection with a rugged and burly Puegout that exceeded my years on this earth, tension in my revving body eased a bit when my rabidly attentive eye met the proudly swaying American flag.

Strolled up to the window, a well spoken and well dressed doorman informed me that Citizen Services closed at 11:00 a.m. Peeking at my wrist, I realized 11:00 a.m. was a leering 15 minutes past. Disappointed but not distraught, I considered that this would give me opportunity to try my arm again, this time with a round of practice under my belt seared with sweaty accomplishment.

Though the result was utter failure, the learning and wisdom added to me finds great solace in with my soul. There are more words and ideas to scribble regarding this title of Growing up, though today's panini lunch at the Pottery Cafe (see Mogamma and the Pottery Cafe) that tasted a delicious Chicken Tandoori has met its completion, just as this downtown scramble leaks into memory alone.

I'll be back. And for those who read faithfully, I am extending my apologies and sincerest request for forgiveness due to the sporadic and unpatterned postings. Thank you for your continued support with comments, messages, and prayers. All appreciated greatly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Growing up. Good title. These experiences will definitely grow and mature you. You will be able to move on to bigger and better things because of them. And the stronger and more confident you will become. Sounds like you already know all that but just wanted to encourage you to keep doing what you're doing. You're doing great.

Love and blessings,
Mom