Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Overflow

Yesterday, I kind of made fun of the precipitation patterns here. I was put in my place when every couple of hours I woke up to the crescendo of mighty thunder clapping in my ears. Even lightning and power outages. Madness.

I woke this morning to the bleating of the most persistent car alarm to ever exist, I'm sure set off by the roaring thunder. I honestly did not hear the threatening cries of our favorite 3 year old, which reaffirmed my commitment to our standoff as of late (see previous entry The Love of the Father). Upon entering the kitchen in a groggy stooper, the first question on the heels of a gruff good morning tested my ability to sleep soundly. "Did you hear the thunder?" met my reply of "How could I miss it?" Despina then enlightened me as to the frequency of such a storm, once every ten years.

Yikes.

And I sat in bed as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. Thus is the shame of an ignorant man. Maybe I'll see rain again when I get back to the States in June.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you didn't spend the last few years of your life in drought-stricken Texas for nothing did you? Perhaps God is trying to teach a rain-spoiled Houston kid something about appreciating the "mundane" His creation..
Still thankful for every drop...
Jan

Anonymous said...

When it rains, it pours.