Tuesday, October 16, 2007

7 Habits of Highly Effective Top S(h)ell(v)ing Books

Severely contrary to my natural tendencies, and my dad can testify to this like a street corner preacher, I have picked up the book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change" by Stephen R. Covey. Do not be fooled; this was not a book I chose to read. It came by divine intervention via the will of our boss and fearless leader, Travis Black. With all that burns within me, I do not want to read this book. But for the sake of team cohesiveness, I have decided to put my own desires in the dust, but not without a passive-aggressive taunt of dissonance to appease my pride.

Yet, with this self-authenticating book rattling in my quivering hand, I decided with encouraging exhortation from a wise friend or two to make the most of my time in these blubbering words. In practical terms, I will attempt to provide some two sided feedback on what I've read each week, though sometimes it may only be a sentence that beckons me to parse its meaning. Do not expect too much from these insights because I might accidentally come with a partial and bias approach but I do ask for accountability in this matter and criticism on my criticism. I want to grow, I really do. I even want to want to read these pages, but when spinning through them like a flipbook cartoon exasperation flowers my nostrils with the scent of the wooden pages, I can only solicit the guidance of Covey himself. So if anyone can send him this link, I would greatly appreciate his counsel and oversight. Without that, I cannot promise anything more than the offensive words of a heart-hardened vagrant.

Hope you'll join me in this pilgrimage to freedom from oppressive words of these "effective" persons. (Please take note of the satirical value of these words, though as in any sarcasm, there is a hint of truth).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a reason why this book is a best-seller...it resonates wisdom in the hearts of people like you and me who really are for good reasons...as well as resonates in the hearts of those with seemingly less pure motives. Whichever the case, give the book a chance. You'll recognize familiar words from people who have loved you and guided you...it doesn't matter who said them first or what the motivation...May you have ears to hear...
Blessings,
Jan