Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Christina

Everyday here, exciting or seemingly extraordinary events occur that an inner dialogue sways me to believe I could expand that instance into a well scripted and dramatic or comedic narrative. However, despite Egypt's 3rd world country status, it remains a place busy enough to keep me from the desire to write. Not only that but, it seems that the times I do have to write, the proper pen and paper (or keyboard) are not accessible. So tonight I bring to you a story written by some friends of mine while we voyaged down the Nile on a simple yacht name The Christina. This is their recount of our quest:

"We all played Sleep Olympics. We were on the middle of the boat on a big soft cushion that's smooth, wrestling for my (Kyle's) over shirt. Asena and Iasonas spied on a man from the crew. We saw cows and sheep eating grass from the green land. Wind was blowing hard and the food was delicious, especially the spicy chips. When we wrestled, the nice boy and girl tried to throw my shirt in the Nile, as well as my flip-flops. In a mad and mean warning, I tricked them by saying I would throw them in the mucky green water, almost the color of the grass. The shade of the bridge brought relaxation from the buckling heat. When the fast speed boat passed by, the wake it left caused an explosion (in our imagination) on the tiny police boat nearby. Also, there was a field on the boat for soccer. Asena reminded us she is an expert on everything. An 88 year old windsurfer named George Washington glided up near the helm to try to steal our yacht but instead we invited him aboard to join the party. He was so overwhelmed and surprised with joy, he decided to stop stealing but the police took him to prison anyway. But we informed the authorities how nice he really was and they let him out."

I did assist in the construction of this story but mostly just in grammar. I might have helped with a word or two, but the story is truly theirs. Iasonas and Asena are approximately 7 or 8 years old. You might imagine, we had quite the fun on this tiny ship. These stories are worth 100x anything I might spew out attempting to perforate a cut out picture for you to take home with you. I thought a little coloring might look a little prettier. Thanks Asena. Thanks Iasonas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should update more often...come on now :)