Sunday, September 2, 2007

Facets and Family

Friday afternoon I moved in with my resident family. The Katsaros' once lived with 5: Papa George, Mama Despina, Yannis (12), Iasonas (8ish), and Little Markos (5ish). Now, as it has been depicted "their older brother is returning home from university." The longer I stay in this place the greater my fascination bubbles. I am an American living with a Greek family in Egypt, and this weekend I spent several hours playing soccer with a crew of Canadians. That means there is Greek in the house, Arabic on the street, English in the office, and Canadian on the fĂștbol field. Speaking Canadian is a whole new translation.

We've spent many days preparing for the kickoff events of this year. As the green flag is raised high, each of us (youth staff) rev our engines, blood racing with anticipation of this Wednesday night. This will begin our Kickoff Collision for our high school group. Even while laboring "extensively" we managed to put together a choreographed dance routine to match our efforts. I need everyone to know, youth ministry is not all fun and games. Our eyes ooze with tears while our pores squeeze every last salty drop of sweat on our shirts and floor. Nevermind the roll-on-the-floor laughing outtakes we've had, or the frequent takes outside of the perfectly air-conditioned office we seemingly "survive" in, youth ministry is hard work. I mean, I had to wake up and be at the office by 10am this morning for final filming of our kickoff video.

Allow me to articulate the endurances of youth ministry. Over this past week, I heard the Lord telling me to sacrifice. In all my great and humble obedience, I laid upon the altar a prized weekend morning waking to sound of my screeching phone of an alarm scalding me from my bed at a horrid 8am so that I might arrive at a youth's home for an early morning bike ride in the desert Wadi Degla. And get this, he wants to go back next weekend for another ride! Oh the bondage we slave for under the cause of our courageous Lord, Jesus Christ.

Yet another difficult depiction of demanding department. Tonight, as a service to a treasured family, a few of us spent some time removing every speck of dust from their flat while they are gone on vacation. I found the pain not to be too overwhelming when, after cleaning, we spent some hours watching a movie on his cinematic project and resoundingly thunderous surround sound. Dam your tears for another day, for the Lord has blessed us with an abundance of perseverance and longsuffering.

I had better get some sleep; we have to be at the church to work (take staff pictures) by noon:30 tomorrow. All you reading back in the States and abroad, I hope this is a good reminder for you to show a greater appreciation for the gifts provided by your Heavenly Father, for not all are blessed by an abundance of material benefits.

Grace and Peace to all who believe.

No comments: